Thursday 20 October 2011

Adventure in Italian

A few days ago I decided that it was time to make the good old standard spaghetti bolognaise for dinner, so I ventured out to the meat market to buy mince.  I knew that Italians don't have the same name for what we call bolognaise, and that the dish is known as "ragu", so I approached my chosen stall and pointed in the direction of the mince and asked in my limited Italian, "Questo per ragu?" meaning "Is this for (making) ragu?" to which the response was, "Si, signora."

My concern then was that perhaps it was minced pork rather than minced beef, but I couldn't recall the Italian word for beef, so I knew I would have to improvise. 

"Moo?" I asked, timidly.  The woman put her head to the side, raised an eyebrow and looked at me, quizzically. I realised that further explanation was necessary. 

"No oink oink?" I said. 
She laughed.  "No, signora.  Moo, moo!" 

(The spag bol was delish, just btw).

D1

No comments:

Post a Comment